Really when you get to this step you have two separate options:
- Build them yourself – Obviously this is the least expensive route
- Buy Premade Windmill Blades – Costs more but is a lot less work
From that I wanted to take some time to talk about the advantages/disadvantages of going either way. In reality if you put a value to your time, by the time you finish building the wind turbine blades yourself, the cost is close to equal. On the other hand, if you’re cheap like me, it might be that you’d rather do it yourself and save the money. In either case there are advantages to going either way.
Buying Your Windmill Blades
First let’s cover the advantages of buying your blades. In this case they are really quite obvious.
- The blades are professionally made
- More varieties of materials you can buy your blades in
- Less concern about getting the correct shape to catch the wind.
Of course there are also disadvantages to buying windmill blades instead of making them yourself. First, it becomes more difficult to tailor your blades to the generator you selected/created for your DIY windmill. And then, of course, there is the cost involved.
Machined blades can run you as much as $1,000 or more. To offset that cost, you may want to check eBay. Often you can find premade blades there, in diameters of 4’ to 6’, for around $100.
Making Your Own Windmill Blades
While there are advantages to buying your windmill blades, there are also some big advantages to building them yourself.
- The blades are created with your actual windmill design in mind.
- You save your money, and your home power system will cost less.
- You get to choose the style of turbine blade to fit your area. Especially in low wind speed areas, this is important.
- You get the satisfaction of telling everyone – you did it!
If you do choose to build your own windmill blades, I suggest you take the time to learn about the top three wind power conversion guides. With my top pick specifically, they recently added a video that teaches that exact topic.
In any case, be sure to take the time to design your blades to fit your application. Taking the time to do so will ensure your wind mill operates trouble-free for years to come!
What exactly does this mean?
Selle Italia 2010 SLR Kit Carbonio Bicycle Saddle Carbon Rails
parking at heathrow